Question

cmist26133

Catch 22. Need to build credit but don't want inquiries.
I am in the 570 range here and over 600 on credit.com. I have one credit card and one auto loan as well as student loans that I've recently consolidated. I've paid off all of my past due collections (old credit card and some doc bills). I do have some student loans showing late before I consolidated. I was advised I need one more source of credit (credit card) to help bump my score up. I don't want to start applying wildly for credit since they inquiries will bring my score down more. A secured card is also not an option since every penny I have is being saved for a house that I want to buy within the year. Any advice? I was thinking of applying for store credit cards and just use for a purchase a month and pay off. I heard they were easier to get than a regular credit card. I'm on the east coast and have Boscovs, Target, Penny's, Kohls, etc to choose from.

Also, what score is more in line with Fico? credit.com and here have always been in line with each other except for a few points but now credit.com is showing about 30 points higher.

The best advice I can give is a secured credit card. The thing about the secured credit card is that once you no longer need it, you can pay off whatever remains on the cycle, close the card, and get your money back. You could also lower the limit to take most of your money back out of the account. I use mine to pya my cell phone, car insurance, gym membership, and netflix. I pay it back down below 30% usage and my score goes up. Aside from this, I'm not sure what you can do that will work for your situation.