Question

Cmr011692

Cards for a new college student?
I'm 21 and starting college in the fall as a freshman. I also have my own business. I've applied for credit cards in the past and turned down for all of them, and I know that affects my credit. But CK says I have a thin file and need something to build a credit score. What card can I apply for and be accepted?

Most Helpful Response

I got my first card at 18 from 1st Financial Bank USA. They have a student card and that is what I had applied for. I started with only about a $250 credit limit but it is now in the 5 digits. Capital One also has a student card which was the second card I got a year or two down the line. Capital One is the better choice because they have lower interest rates and either no or lower annual fees on student cards, where 1FB has higher interest rates and an annual fee but they are more likely to approve you. If you are responsible with your card and pay it off in full each month  the interest rate won't matter too much (just buy gas or dinner on your card once a month then pay it off in full). Good luck!