Question

carguy2007

capitol one sent me an approval
Capitol one sent me an approval for a new CC. I owed them some money in the past but it was closed in 2005. What i want to know is if i take this offer will they bring up the old debt and make me pay it.

Not in my experience

I started working on my credit again last year and like you, had an old Capital One card that was closed in 2012 and hadn't really seen any activity from that account on my credit report since. Capital One approved me for a new card in September 2014 and within a month, mysteriously, my old credit card debt with them was bought by a collection agency who starting contacting me regarding the debt. It could be pure coincidence with that timing, or it could have been because I opened a new account with them, but Capital One themselves have not reached out regarding the old debt at all. Due to the age of the account you are referring to, 10 years, it should be old enough to request that it actually be removed if it is still on your report. Just open a dispute with TransUnion via their dispute site or via Credit Karma. If it is not on your credit report, they are not even likely to readily see that you had an outstanding debt with them since the account has been closed for so long and is no longer reporting. You should not be concerned about them bringing up the old debt or pursuing you for it. Capital One is known for giving second chances and helping you rebuild your credit. Hope this helps! If so, click the thumbs up.

-Taylor