Question

tmeddie04

Can't find debt on report here that I believe to be over 7 years old
I have a collection agency trying to collect on a debt that I believe is over 7 years old. I'm not seeing it here on my credit report. I was trying to find it to verify the debt is old. I know it was on my credit report when we bought our house in 2008 and at that time we were told not to acknowledge it as it was about to "drop off" of the credit report any way. How can get them to stop contacting me over this debt? I know I need proof of the debt being older but I can't seem to find it at all.

Most Helpful Response

Next time they call, tell them to not call again and to only contact you via regular mail regarding the debt.  Also, visit www.annualcreditreport.com and pull your Experian credit report to see if it shows up.  These scammers buy outdated debt in hopes they can scare folks into paying.  They're scum and you can blow them off.  If they violate your no-call request, go online to the FTC.gov and file a complaint (and tell them you're going to do that.).  Best of luck!

tmeddie04

Thank you so much for your response! I have actually researched this further and found an older credit report of my husband's and found this account on there. The original account number they referenced is the same, I believe this is why it is not on my credit report. If I remember correctly, we had this credit card when I was unemployed so it was under my husband's name with my name on the account as well. On this credit report from 2009 it listed this debt as opened in 2001 and charged off as bad debt in 2002. Now all of a sudden they are sending me a letter trying to collect on a "settlement amount". I plan to write them but could you give me some advice as to what to say. My plan is to let them know I have no recollection of this and tell them they will need to provide more information about this debt. What do you think?