Question

SonicBlueMustang02

Cancelling one card and increasing credit line on another.
I have had a card for over 2 years that has a limit of $1000. I also have another that has only been open 8 months that has a limit of $1600. I want to cancel the newer card because I never use it and I just don't need a second card. If I cancel the newer card my average age of accounts would increase, so that's good. I'm hoping to increase the limit of my older card to $2000 so if I close the older one my total credit available would drop by $600. My score has gone down a few points over the past few months because I have never used the newer card. I'm wondering how much of a hit I would take if I were to make these changes. I don't want my score to continue to decrease because I don't use the card, but I also do not want to use the card to prevent the decrease. Please let me know how many points I can expect my score to fall by closing the newer card. Thanks.

STOP!!

Cancelling the card will NOT increase the "average age of accounts" because the account will remain on your credit reports for ten years.

Second, having a card and not using it does NOT cause your score to go down.

Third, cancelling the card will hurt your credit as you will be closing an active account.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please, slow down and do some extensive reading. Take your time until you have a thorough understanding about how credit works. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, but under no circumstances take any more action until you have a good understanding about all of this. I also advise you to watch your FICO scores and do some reading on how they react to certain actions.