Question

willd2345

canceling old credit card first premier card
My oldest and first card is a first premier card 11 years ago. Since than I have gotten better cards with low aprs. I want to close the first premier card. They charge me 7 bucks a month matinence fee and their apr is 30 and their annual fee is 50 bucks a year im actually wasting money. ..I haven't used this card in two tears but every month I still owe them money because of that matinence fee...I want to close this account will this hurt me if I do..thanks a bunch. ..

Most Helpful Response

You have options.

First call them and ask them to convert the account to a non-annual fee and no monthly fee card along with a better interest rate. If they say no then close and take the 3-4 point decrease in your credit score. It will come back up within a few months.

Same Situation

I had the same problem a couple years ago. My credit score did not change and I closed 4 cards. I would take the chance and close it.

Close It!!!

There is no reason to give them any money - if there was any effect on your credit score it would only be temporary.

There is no excuse for charging $7 per month, $50 a year fee, and 30% interest rate.

Shame on them and shame on you for letting them get away with your cash.

You are wasting money on a card that you don't use, $7 X 12 += $84 a year down the drain + 30% if you don't pay it on time each month!  I closed one of my oldest accounts I never used a few years ago before I realized that was a mistake but the hit on my credit was not too bad. I have a score of 759 and a B for length of credit but it doesn't really affect me. Saving money is a much better option!