Question

jadsmith

Cancel newer cards - age of credit history
I want to increase the age of my credit history. Mathematically, I can do that by cancelling newer cards (1-2 years old) because then my older cards will carry more weight in the average. However, does this work in real-life, or will it have any effect (or a negative effect) on my credit score/report?

Most Helpful Response

Leave the cards alone.  Cancelling cards hurts your score.  The age factor is good but won't be improved by your cancelling newer cards. You just might want to hold off on getting any more cards until after your current ones 'age'.