Question

Mmwingo

Can your credit card company give you a finance charge even if your card is maxed out?
My credit card is $50 away from maxing out due to finance charges. I have stopped using it in the last few months and don't intend to use it again until I'm down to, at most, 30%, barring any unforeseen emergencies, and just acquired the means to begin chipping away at it (read: a job after a year-long stint of unemployment).

But I fear what will happen if I am hit with another finance charge or two that would send me over my limit. Can credit card companies continue to hit you with finance charges after your card has reached the limit? What happens if they do?

Most Helpful Response

Absolutely.  The limit affects what you can charge.  They're not limited in the interest that they can charge you on the balance.  It's up to you to maintain a balance where the interest doesn't put you overlimit.

Of course they can charge finance charge for whatever the amount still owed on the credit card.  And, if you go over the total credit limit allowed, you can get charged an "over-limit fee" in addition to the finance charge.

Credit cards are a "buy now, pay later" arrangement and they should be repaid.  You might, by contacting the credit card company, get them to freeze the finance charges while you get the card paid off, but don't be surprised if they close the account and ask you to return the card.  That HAS happened.