Question

neo164

Can you pay something in collections?
I have 1 outstanding item in collections, for $100. I don't have a clue what it is, and certainly would prefer to pay it off than have it on my credit history.

It just says TEK COLLETIONS. Can I pay it off, and if so will it be removed from my history?

Is it YOURS??

That's the first question to answer.  If it appeared on your credit report and this was the first time you've seen it, there is a great possibility that it is an error.  Since humans enter the credit report data and there is no one perfect in the human race, errors will happen.

Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  This is something you should be doing every year to make sure all data is correct.  Look these reports over very carefully and file disputes on all wrong information (not my account, have never used that address, etc) with the credit bureau reporting it.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed item.  This alone can improve your credit score.

You likely are not getting calls and letters from collection agencies on this account so it would be foolish to pay without finding out for sure if it IS something you truly owe.