Question

artist939

Can you get credit after bankcruptcy
I filed for Chapter 13 in october 2003. I got my discharge. I waited almos ten years to apply for for department store card,to which they said that i will receive a letter by mail. I'm gussing it was denied. How long would the derragotary mark will stay on file. Will i be able to get credit any time in the near future? Please advise

Most Helpful Response

You can get a secure credit card now

It's not the end this is a new beginning. My Chapter 7 was in June 2012 and I joined USAA and and signed up for a secure credit card where you put money down for a CD to cover the credit card. It's almost 2 years and my score is 678.

Been there, done that.

Bankruptcy is a matter of public record.  Since you applied in 2003 and it takes at least 3-5 years of payments before a Chapter 13 is completed, the time frame (7 years) begins after the payment is completed.  If it was 3 years, the BK was completed in 2006 and it will be off your credit report sometime this year (depends on the month it was completed).  If it took 5 years, then it will clear in 2015.

The first thing to do afterwards is apply for a secured credit card.  Then you make sure your utilization is below 20% and you pay the balance in full every month.  It takes a bit of time to rebuild but I did it, and so can you.  It is jut going to take some time and patience.

Thank you. You gave me back hope.

credit cards

My bankruptcy was discharged in 2013 and I got two department store credit cards in early 2015 with no problem. I got them Only to help my credit score. Perhaps times have changed since you asked this question? I hope so.