Question

sillyprilly

Can you beat my total number of accounts?
Just wondering what everybody's total number of accounts is as I found it extremely amusing when I was checking my credit report and under the "Total Accounts" tab, I have 32 accounts (23 open, 9 closed). And I scroll down a little bit and it says "You have the HIGHEST (which was underlined btw) number of accounts found among Credit Karma members." I thought, "there's no way **I** have the most total accounts out of everyone here."

So can someone top that?

Most Helpful Response

I spoke to a guy that had 96 accounts

all were open, his score was only 720. and the highest limits were in the $2K range.  But that is unusual,  Just because you can open accounts doesn't mean your getting good quality credit cards.  

I read somewhere that the average American has around 12-15 open credit accounts.  I have 12 with 2 closed accounts, My average card limit is $10K to $12K.  

I always suggest that you want to have a Total Credit Availablity equal to between 1 to 2 years income. I believe thats what most lenders they look at when considering a loan. Although, Today more and more credit decisions are made by a computer algoritiums rather than a "loan Officer".     

I think the line that says "you have the Highest number of accounts" is proabably because you fall into that range and not so much "You" in particular. 

sillyprilly

Yeah, I figured because I know people who have way more than I do (but don't use CK).

My average credit limt is $6.3K. And huh, I didn't know that about the Total Credit Availability.

Thanks for the response EddyTX!

You got me...

Credit Karma's widget may be based on categories, not actual total accounts.  On the Total Accounts page it shows

• Your total accounts are equal to or higher than  100% and 100% of Credit Karma members

I have fiddled with the filters for age, state, and income and I always get 100% for both Equifax and TransUnion.  The only thing that is true is that I am in the 21+ account category.  And if that is the top category, then all of us with 21+ accounts will have equal to or higher than 100% of other Credit Karma users.

...

I know this isn't based on raw account numbers because I have less accounts than you and many, many less than the fellow EddyTX references!  I only have 28 accounts with 14 open (And I really thought 28 was a lot).  I have an average credit card limit of $19,400 and a utilization that averages between 4-7% on a month to month basis.