Question

luvnlyve421

Can they keep updating my credit report with a judgement?
I received a judgement in July 2013. I filed bankruptcy in September 2013. The judgement was already on my credit report when I filed. I'm not disputing that. What I have a problem with is that they seem to have updated my credit report again with the judgement and my credit score dropped 17 points. It doesn't seem fair that they could keep updating my credit report and then my score continue to drop.

Not sure what you mean by "updating" your credit report.   Your credit report is a snapshot in time.  Every time you or a creditor pulls your report, that is the current info as of the day they pull the report.  Creditors send a file to the credit bureaus once a month.  The creditor gets to pick which day of the month they report.  This means you can have data changing pretty much any given day.

Judgments will stay on your report for a total of 7 years from the date it is released.  If not released, then it stays on a minimum of 10 years, but possibly 20 years if the creditor renews the judgment.  Hope this helps!

luvnlyve421

Thanks for the response! I guess update isn't the proper terminology. I just know that my score dropped 17 points according to Credit Karma and it was due to a public record, which is the judgement. Well, the judgement was entered in July, 2013 and it already hit my credit report thus decreasing my score. So can this continue to happen every few months or as often as they would like. It just seems odd and the fact that I filed bankruptcy would seem to me that they wouldn't be allowed to do this.