Question

RSD3168

can the collection company come after you if your only income is social security disability

In response to the original poster, be extremely careful heeding to the advice given above about contacting the collections company to set up payment arrangements. If you do this and then fail to make a payment to them or are late with a payment with them it can restart the clock on the statute of limitations for you to be sued and also for the length of time they can report the derogatory information on your credit report. As mentioned above, they cannot garnish your SSI. I would do some serious reading on debt collectors and your rights and how to deal with debt collectors before you proceed any further with anything. Educate yourself well so you do not make any costly mistakes. I would advise you not to contact them at all until you are thoroughly educated about dealing with debt collectors.

They can make calls until after they receive a letter from you advising them that, as permitted by the FDCPA, you are demanding that all communications from date they receive the letter onward shall be via U.S. Mail ONLY!   Actually, if you have 'caller ID' I recommend not even answering any phone numbers you do not recognize.

Disability compensation cannot be taken to satisfy debts.  I do recomment not using any credit that you cannot easily pay in full every month due to the limited income.  You might notify the companies you owe mo[ney- to that you are on disability and, if you can make any payments to satisfy the debt, request that they freeze the interest and suspend penalties so that you CAN get the debt paid.  They just might do so.

Seriously!?

Can you ask for a loan if your only income is social security disability?  Stop thinking just because you have a disability you deserve a free ticket to your obligations.  If you are granted credit, you are obligated to pay it back.  Your credit reports is a history of those finacial agreements and will most likely affect your credit directly.

This is directed to NunnyaBusines: I believe people on this forum are here for helpful advice and answers to their questions, they are not asking questions in order to be judged or looked down upon by members of this forum. I want you to consider the following (now of course I am only jumping to conclusions here, like you were when you said the original poster was thinking they deserve a free ticket to their obligations).

If a person is on Social Security Disability this indicates that they are disabled and something terrible happened to them. Consider this: maybe they used to make good money and always took care of their obligations as a responsible person would do, possibly though they made some errors of not getting insurance on some of their loans to protect them in the event something would happen. Now consider this: If they fell ill or got injured they may have went without income for a very very long time before getting Social Security Disability. I have read many stories of people having extreme financial distress on top of being severely sick or injured while waiting on the extremely slow process of acquiring Disability. I urge you to remember in the future to think before you judge others, you have no idea what they are going through or what they have been through and just because you can only see things happening one way, there are most likely things unknown to you that could be at play. I also want to point out that due to the very low benefits of Social Security Disability it is most likely that anyone on it is living in poverty with barely enough money to have the basics needed to survive.

Keeks1974

SOUNDS LIKE A REPUBLICAN SPEECH. HEY TRUMP! Weirdo. 

Keeks1974

Of course that was directed at 'nunnya'

Thanks for the lecture - I'm a disabled veteran that served my country in the USAF. Does that make you feel any better?!