Can someone explain how this is affecting my score?
I've never utilized credit outside of a student loan which hasn't started requiring payments yet. A while back I bought something on Amazon and they made a mistake and charged something to a credit line I didn't realize I opened, instead of my debit. I just assumed it went through my debit so I didn't realize I had a credit balance unpaid. I got a late payment notice and they charged me an extra fee and that's when I called. They removed the fee, and when I realized the purchase went unpaid I paid off the $75 dollar balance on the phone and cancelled the card. None of this was my fault and they removed the late fee so I'm just wondering how this actually affects me or how much it does. Since it was a mistake, is there any way to fix it or am I going to have to just build credit on my own to offset anything this has done to my credit score? My score is 666 according to this site, and I honestly don't know how good that is based on anything. It says it's poor, but I have no credit history other than what I explained, and I'm only 20 with nothing but a 3700 school loan that's not due until after I graduate, so I assume this isn't a dire situation to be in.

Anyways, since I'm trying to learn about credit so I can properly use it and build up a good score, I'd appreciate any insight or anyone's opinion, thanks!

Most Helpful Response

Your credit score is low due to having very limited credit experience (just a loan for $3700). If you open up a credit card and you use it responsibly then your score would begin to improve as you would be building your credit for the first time. You may not get approved for a card through a major credit card company so you would probably have to go with a secured credit card through your local bank or credit union, but as your credit score improves and you build about 18 months of credit history you'll begin to see pre-approval offers through the major credit companies coming in the mail, then your chances of getting approved for those cards will greatly increase.

... Also if approved for any credit card along with your current loan follow these tips:

All accounts

• Pay on time, every time (never miss a payment for any reason)
  • Apply for new credit in moderation (once or twice a year maximum or only if you really need more credit)
  • Check your credit reports for accuracy at least once a year (

Credit cards

• Keep your credit card utilization under 30% (though 1%-20% is key)
  • In regards to credit utilization never max out a card (spend only what you can afford to pay back each month unless it is needed for an emergency)
  • Use credit to build credit (don't let the account go inactive)
  • Pay more than the minimum payment whenever possible
  • Keep your oldest account active and good standing (use it every now and then)