Question

GrandaddyGreg

Can sending a goodwill letter hurt your credit? Do goodwill letters still even work?
Based on advice I found here, I decided to write goodwill letters to 2 credit card companies to ask to have some late payments removed from my credit report.
Both companies (Capital One and HomeDepot/Citibank) denied me with very similar responses:
"The Fair Credit Act requires us to report the account history accurately. We are unable to change our reporting on a courtesy basis. Also, we have placed a disagreement code with a resolution of dispute on your credit file to the major credit reporting agencies."
From what I gather based on the responses, credit card companies will not remove late payment hit on your credit report unless it was completely an error on their part. It seems like they don't care about excuses or explanations. Is that the case, or would a little persistence do the trick?
The other question I have is about the last sentence from the excerpt above... What does "a disagreement code with a resolution of dispute" do to my credit report and credit score? It sounds like they're keeping tabs on me requesting to change things, which doesn't seem good. Would that be a reason to drop the issue, and give up on sending goodwill letters?
Thanks for your help.

The note just means that your next potential creditor will look at it and may ask you what is going on with this situation. This should not be a huge problem if you can explain that you were just trying to make you credit look more appealing.  Plus those good faith letters can be tricky.  Try calling the company personally and asking to speak with a manager and try sweet talking them to remove it.