Question

Dana6

Can old Judgement damage credit?
I had an old (10 years) judgement from CA, which was never in my credit history. I have just heard from the collection agency (first time in 10 years!) that they have renewed the judgement, though I thought it was settled. Can they damage my credit history now?

Most Helpful Response

Yes, the original creditor CAN renew a judgment for an additional 10 years.  Not many of them do it, but it is legal. 

I have a tactic you can try (not promising it will work).  Write to all three credit bureaus and ask them to send  you a copy of the "Notice of Service" for this judgment.  Keep doing this every 35 days and it may come off.  Be persistent.   I've gotten judgments off reports for my clients, but it does take time.  Best of luck!

Look up the "statutes of limitations" for your state. I hope you haven't admitted that you owe this debt. Also, the most that a judgment can stay on your report is 10 years. 7 years for collections. 2 years for inquiries. Do some research you have a lot of rights in your favor. Still stuck, call 1-877-235-0324 Credit Pro's, they will help.