Question

bghoss

Can my CK score be quite different than it actually is?
CK had me at 604, I received an offer in the mail for a card from Chase. I applied for and was accepted with a $5,000 limit. Interest is 15.4%. CK suggests I get a $200 secured card. I have two other cards, both with high interest rates but zero balances.

So my question is with my low score, why would Chase approve me? Made me wonder if my actual score was higher than CK indicates. Appreciate any thoughts.

I have numerous bad marks on my credit report including tax liens (paid), two foreclosures since the IRS took my assets. My payment history on credit cards has been 100% on time for three years. That's the background.

The Transunion score (which is what this site uses) is very likely different from those reported on Experian and Equifax, which are the other two credit bureaus and they all are somewhat factored into Myfico.com, which is a different credit score.

One thing you should do is annually check your credit reports for accuracy since errors are common.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over thoroughly and file disputes on all WRONG information (not my account, wrong phone number/address) with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.