Question

fcouncell

Can medical bills impact my credit score?
I owe $50,000 in medical bills that I simply cannot pay. I have worked very hard to establish credit and pay all my bills on time, but I cannot do so if I attempt to pay medical bills.

Most Helpful Response

In theory, medical bills do not affect your credit -- as long as you are paying them as agreed. If you quit paying and they go into collections, they can kill your score, just like any other debt.

If you're unable to pay, try talking to the medical provider and see if you can get them to reduce the debt or change your payment terms so that you can get through this without defaulting. Your other option might be bankruptcy; but I'm no financial or legal advisor. If you can't make an arrangement with the creditor, you might need to talk with a lawyer.