Question

Kitt8793

Can I stop a collections agency from reporting a paid debt?
I normally pay bills promptly and have a high credit score. I was late paying a medical bill of $170 because the bill pay website was confusing and I decided to wait and pay in person during a follow up appointment with the same doctor. Obv a big mistake...I received services from several providers at the same location, and the website indicated I must pay each provider separately. The info on my bill was unclear in terms of which amounts matched with which provider. (I realize now I should have just used my best guess and paid it, or I should have called them to clarify.) I paid the balance in full (in person) on the morning of my appointment 9/22. On 9/23 I received a letter from a collections agency that was dated 9/19. Is there any way I can stop the collections agency from reporting this to the credit bureaus since I technically paid it before I even knew it was sent to collections?

Nope.  You'd need to deal with the CA to address that.  Be careful and research carefully before contacting them to make sure you don't make matters worse for yourself.