Question

chicagodouglas

Can I still get a credit card with a small paid collection?
I would like to get a card from American Express or Chase but am unsure how a small ($50) paid collection will effect my approval. I currently have two cards from capital one, a platinum with 750 credit limit opened in january of 2015 and a quicksilver card with a 2000 credit limit opened in august of 2015. Currently my utilization is 4%.

Any thoughts?

Most Helpful Response

I think that you will be fine...  I would try the pre qual on amex and see if they are offering you anything.  If it say we "recomond"  that means that they dont have anything for you that you prequalified for.  That does not mean that you wont get anything if you do app but it is a good sign if they do have something there for you.

It will affect slightly. Did you try to contact the debt company and see if they could remove it on goodwill. Make up a story that you're applying for a mortgage and this is hurting your score.

chicagodouglas

The collection has already been removed from Transunion (I used the dispute feature here on this website) but don't know the process for the other two companies. Is it better to contact experian and equifax or to contact the debt company? When I paid the debt, I didn't pay through them, I payed through comcast and they reported the debt to Stellar Recovery as paid. 

chautrinh1984

Is the collection listing Comcast as the creditor or Stellar Recovery? If it's comcast, contact them and ask them to remove it. If it's Stellar, do the same.

chicagodouglas

The collection was removed from my account in less than 12 hours... the next day I was approved for amed green card and then tonight i was approved for the blue cash everyday card with a credit limit of 10,000. I don't know how the hell I got a limit that high (my highest limit currently is 2000$ with my oldest card about a year and a half old...) I'm dumbfounded... not sure what to think as this was so unexpected. but quite thankful and looking forward to responsible use of these new cards (I pay off my balances in full and if not, keep my utilization no higher than 4%)