Question

Alikhyice

Can I reapply for credit on a card I defaulted on BEFORE Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?
I had CareCredit and was making my payments but then for 3 months I was unable to pay so the card was closed. I have other debt and I can't seem to get out of it. I don't have other credit cards and I am current on my car payment. I've been contemplating for a while to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I know that after filing I'll start getting credit card offers in the mail and all that other stuff which I will only maybe get just one credit card to build credit but I have a lot of dental work that needs to be done. If I defaulted on CareCredit, after I've filed for Bankruptcy what are the chances of me reapplying and getting approved with them again??

Most Helpful Response

First of all, I would NOT bank on having lots of credit card offers thrown at you after filing bankruptcy. That's not how it usually works. In fact, once you have a bankruptcy on your credit reports, you're pretty much poison to credit granting companies--except the type that charge RIDICULOUS interest/finance charges. You certainly will not be getting tons of offers for high quality, low interest, no fee credit cards from reputable companies.

Also, you're free to apply for any account at any time, so applying again is an option, but don't expect CareCredit to approve you after a bankruptcy. (Note: I know NOTHING about CareCredit, so this is just a generalization. I'm assuming they're not in the lowlife category of interest gouging card grantors.)

I fully agree with LinuxUser, I think that you are misunderstanding what Bankrupcty does to your credit. I advise you to do some thorough reading from reputable sources about the effects of Bankrupcty. Some companies will forgive, but many will not. I would not count on CareCredit issuing you another line of credit.