Question

MetalMachine

Can i raise (or hurt) my credit score by starting to pay off my student loans before they kick in?

I am a senior in college, and I would like to purchase a home. However, I afraid that my credit score is too low to get a mortgage. My credit history is just not very long.

I have never missed a bill due date, but I have never had a credit card or anything to help my credit. I just don't like the idea of a credit card.
At the moment, my wife and I make between 2000-3000 dollars a month, with a little cash put away. When I graduate I will be making between 4000-5000 dollars a month.

Would starting to pay my government student loans off early help my credit? I have heard that it can possibly hurt my credit.

Have you thought about consolidating your student loans into one loan?  That way you only have one account on your credit report and only one payment.  Often that payment and interest can be lowered when consolidating.  If you'd like to check into this for free, call 469-619-0644 and they'll let you know if you qualify in just a few minutes.  Best of luck!