Question

beckfree27

Can I raise my score without getting negative items off my report? Ex Getting a credit card instead?
I have contacted the suggested recommendation by Credit Karma. A place called Lexington Law. They told me that even if I was to get a credit card, my score would have difficulty going up because the old debts are like a weight bringing my score down. I am unable to pay these old debts and they are all over 8 years old. Over time they have been coming off, but not all of them because they have been passed around to collection agencies. I just want to make sure this info is correct. As the agency I spoke with obviously wants me to use their services and pay them. I want to know for sure if this info is correct.

Most negative items have to be removed from your credit reports 7 years from the time of the negative action or the time an account first went into default that led to a charge off and/or collection. This is the law. If you have negative accounts that are showing longer than 7 years, you can dispute them yourself with the credit bureaus as "too old to report", it costs you nothing to do so, so there is absolutely no need to hire someone to do it for you. Just because a debt is sold from one collection company to another it does not restart the credit reporting time period and if they would try to do that, it is illegal and you can sue them for FDCPA violations and also have it removed from your credit reports via the dispute process.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As negative accounts age, the harm that they do, usually starts to subside. Yes of course they are depressing your credit reports/scores, but it is possible to improve your credit even with negative accounts showing. If you do not currently have a credit card or any revolving lines of credit, then simply getting a card will boost your FICO scores.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Working on your credit is not a hard thing to do, you just need to do some heavy reading on the subject and ask questions on credit boards as you did here. I would do your credit repair yourself if you are able to, rather than pay a company to do the same things that you could do. There is nothing credit repair companies can do that you can't.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you decide to try it on your own, feel free to ask as many questions as you would like on here, I try to get on here every evening and will be glad to help you with any questions that you have.

Your original plan of getting new tradelines and growing them in a positive way to improve your credit is a good plan.