Question

chrcjcjn

Can I purchase a home with a FICO score of 540

Most lenders require a minimum score of 620, in performing some research on the subject.  Any loan you would get, would be at a high interest rate and you would have to put a lot of money down and probably pay points too.  Lenders are going to look at debt to income ratio too.  

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you should concentrate on improving your credit score before going further in debt. Your ultimate goal should be striving for a higher credit score of 760 or higher.  It's attainable and I've done it. I started with a 485 credit score and now have a 796 score.  You need to read the articles here and on money management sites to understand and master credit and debt.

Tough

Its possible but be prepared to pay a ridiculous interest rate and have a heafty down payment. 

with a FICO Score that low the only way you would be able to buy a house would be pay 100% cash for it. 

Nobody ,   I mean NOBODY will give you a loan with a FICO that low.