Question

JMBoogie

Can I prevent unpaid rent my employer was responsible for from affecting my credit score.
As a part of my contract, my ex-employer was to pay the rent for my housing where the company conducted business. The company however went out of business and was unable to keep its doors open. I was not notified of unpaid rent until 3 months after the lease was terminated and the company has since filed for bankruptcy. The employer asked the live in staff to sign the leases in our own names so now the apartments want to collect what amounts to about 6.5k in late rent and fees from me personally. If this is passed to a collection agency it goes on my credit report, but if the negligence was on the part of my employer, how do I prevent this from having a negative effect on my credit history.