Question

MixMasterEntServices

Can I negotiate a deal with a debt collector to remove a degrotory mark from my credit early?
I was reading up on collections and derogatory marks because I'm trying to help someone out with their credit. I know a mark can stay up on your credit for up to 7 years however I know most collection agencies are willing to negotiate a deal.
If the person was willing to pay off an account in full would the collection agency remove the mark if you ask? Negotiate a deal saying hey if I pay this account off in full can you remove one of the derogatory marks off their credit?

depending on the age of the account

sometimes you can negotiate a whats called "Pay to Delete" at a discount.  I suggest writing a letter to the Collection agency ATTN: Office Manager. you don't want to talk to them on the phone. Those people aren't able to make these kinds of deals.  Managers are the only ones you want to deal with.

Start by offering about 50% of the bealance due, and ask for to have the account removed,  They will probably counter with something like "We can only delete if paid in full",  Write back offering 60%. and ask to delete,  Chances are good that you will get them to agree to less than 100% of the balance owed. 

If you don't want to go through the negortiating process you could just pay the total, but never pay before you have an agreement in writing that they will delete the collection account from your report.  

EddyTX

forgot to mention,  Google "Pay to delete" or "Pay to Remove" for letter templates and more info.