Question

kivybee

Can I manage my balance if one of my credit cards is shared?
One of the two credit cards I have is shared and the owner of that card typically has a huge utilization fee which hurts my credit. Unfortunately, I cannot close that credit card because it's my oldest one by a landslide.
So, instead, can I overpay my balance on my non-shared credit card (so that I owe -$5000) so it gets counted against what the shared credit card's balance would be.
So, if the shared credit card had a balance of $10,000 at the end of the month, and I have overpaid my non-shared credit card by $5000, the utilization for both would only be $5000 (which would give me less than 10% utilization).
Would this work? Please advise :)

*utilization rate, not utilization fee!

oops, typo in my questoin above

No you cannot do that, that doesn't even make sense. The only thing that you can do is to get removed from the card if need be. Take some time to do some reading about credit so you can understand things better and under no circumstance "overpay" as you will just be giving your money away to the card holder.

Sorry, I misread the question, I see you want to overpay on your own card, that won't work either. And if it is a joint card rather than authorized user, then the plan would be to close the card and not get removed. I apoligize once again for reading or should I say skimming too quickly.