Question

ccmfred

can I have my father call to check my credit
i believe someone opened a credit card in my name without my knowledge. I will be 18 in 1 week and need to find out if this cc exists. Can I have my father call someone to check

YOU can likely go to annualcreditreport.com and check to see if anything is on your credit report.  It would be wise to make this check once a year.

Should you find anything showing, you can file a dispute with the credit bureau reporting the error.  In the case of a credit account being opened in your name, your dispute can also include the fact of potential identity theft.

As a bit of advice, get yourself a small safe or lock box and keep all important papers, including your social security card, locked up.  These ar e items you'll need only a very few times in your life, but that social security number is a gold mine to a thief.