Question

Posted in Retirement

justyme

*** can I find a lost 401K?
I worked for a company ten years ago for about a year, I started a 401K with them and all I ever received from them was a letter stating the had transferred the account to a different company. I never received any correspondence from any one after that first letter, well goes on and I always had it in the back of my mind I thought it would better to see what I could fond out. So far nothing. I called the company that I worked for they told me were they transferred it to, called them and they have no record.
What if any thing can I do?

State's unclaimed property website

I just reread your comment, after 10 years, your company or the 401k manager (financial institution) should have submitted a check to the state that your company is incorporated in or to the state you resided in at the time of your employ, not sure how they do that..  Every state has an unclaimed property website, usually you can find it listed on the state's home page or by going to the state secretary's division or search for unclaimed property from the state's website.  If searching from a public search engine the include the state.   Once the account is considered abandoned either your former employer or the financial institution that is managing the 401k plan send it to the state.   California's is easy to search & now they have an online submission, hopefully yours is so easy.  If you haven't already, you should check every state's unclaimed property lists for  every state that you have lived in.  I found an old Iomega rebate that they never sent to me & this was after the retailer that I bought it from refunded me the rebate amount & I received a check after a class-action lawsuit that was filed against Iomega for screwing up their rebate process