Question

trw1234

can I file bankruptcy against veterans affairs
My husband died due to their uranium waste and I was not allowed to remarry until 65. Now because the payments kept coming and I did not notify them and now they are suing me and tacking on additional monies. How can they dictate to me if I can or cannot remarry. My life has been in turmoil since. They owe me for all the added stress and emotional stuff I had to go through and continue to go through !!!!! They don't pay us late interest when they are late sending us what they owe us !!!! Regards, Tam

Contact local Veteran's Service Office.

If you filed bankruptcy, it would actually be like filiing against the Government and that is not allowed. There was some serious lack of information provided to you and/or late husband about the responsibilities you needed to take care of when he died and the first would have been to notify the payment office of his death.  You may have been eligible for some other compensation following his death but the only way to learn would have been to keep in touch with the proper VA office so that the proper forms were completed and actions carried out.

I strongly suggest contacting your local VA Service Office to get assistance.  You may be eligible for Social Security, too.  Don't try solving everything on your own because Government regulatios/policies and procedures are complicated.  I know, because I am a veteran. There is no regulation preventing remarriage prior to age 65, but there may have been a cut-off of VA benefits if you did.  You can only get this properly solved through the local veteran's service officer (usually located at the courthouse) or the Regional Veteran's Affairs Office. Please contact them right away.