Question

dontdoquitclaimdeed

Can I file a civil suit against my ex for purposely paying mortgage slow to affect my credit?
The man makes plenty of money to afford the payment, he took over the payments 10 years ago and began slow paying almost immediately, now my credit report and fico are bad. He could have sold it and made money but chose not to, instead I guess to get revenge and has let the house go to the point it is unsellable, even a flipper doesn't want it. The shingles needed replaced over 5 years ago and he did nothing, now the inside has been rained on since. He has been fined by the city for lack of lawn care and the city has been inside to board it up to keep vandals out. I feel I should be able to file a civil suit against him for intentional financial damages. He took the payments over to keep his credit from being ruined when I couldn't afford it anymore, yet he ruined mine instead. His other payment histories are fine except this one, which he can blame on me since my name is still on the papers.

Most Helpful Response

Short answer is yes because you can sue anyone at anytime. But if you want to know whether you have a good case you should talk to an attorney.

Not sure what the terms of your divorce were, but you should not have allowed your name to still be on the mortgage.

This a common problem and your lawyer should have steered you clear of it. Divorce 101: Nothing stays in your name no matter what.

sounds like a jerry springer show !