Question

Carol2017

Can I dispute a collection from 2013 even if it true? What are the chances of it being removed?
I email the collector and by giving them my name, they couldn't find my account, they asked for my account which I no longer have. I heard that even if you pay it, it won't improve your credit, so can I dispute it?

Most Helpful Response

Tho technically the dispute process is meant for people to correct the inaccuracies on their credit report, it is not a convenient way for people to remove things they don't like, but you are free to roll the dice, dispute whatever you like for whatever reason(s) you can think of, whether or not it would be removed by CRAs is whole different story.

-

As for by paying it won't improve your scores? That's because majority of the credit score models out there and we do have 100s, however illogical it might be, dose not distinguish between paid and unpaid collections.

You can only dispute WRONG information, as you would learn from reading the articles here.