Question

Shareenmarie

Can I dispute a collection account to get the "type" reported?
I have a collection account that's 4 head old now. Its a $100 medical bill. Its not reported as medical, so its hitting hard as my only negative info. I want to buy a home within the next 3 years and need this to look better. The company refuses to delete in return for payment, and they're awful people. Disgustingly rude, so I'm done with them. I'd rather wait 3 years if they aren't willing to do anything.

They refuse to report the bill as medical. Can I dispute this with Equifax? Do you think a credit repair agency might be able to go to bat for me to get something better? I either want to pay it and have then report as a paid MEDICAL collection, deleted in general (not likely), or settle. They refused all 3.

I'm afraid that the disputes are only for whether or not the debt is valid, but it wouldn't hurt to call up the bureau and ask.

To most score models there aren't any difference between medical collections to another types of collection. VantageScore supposedly ignores collection account less than $250 and $100 for FICO score models.