Question

Airflow2012

Can I close open collection accounts?
My father and I have the same name, except I go by Aaron Paul Bostwick JR. My father has used my social security number over the last few years and has caused multiple open collections and has the government taking my taxes when I am supposed to get a refund. How can I close thesecond accounts and/or dispute or report him as a fraud?

File a dispute on the accounts with the credit bureaus to get his accounts off your credit reports and notify the IRS about the tax issue.  They would be glad to help you. Sounds like this could be an on-going problem so you'll need to check all three credit reports once a year.

faidros

Don't forget to file the police report for ID theft, they will want a copy of that document.    Contact every account which is not yours, provide them with a copy of the police report and work with their fraud department.

IF your father used your SS#, then there will be no way to remove collections......UNLESS you can prove he did it and be willing to help prosecute him for identity theft.  

If you are willing to go that road the file police reports right now, be sure to have some proof that he did it, because it will most likely come down to "he said he said". If your father did this without your knowledge it is unlikely he will admit to doing it. Once you have filed the police reports then you can dispute the collections with the credit reporting agencies, and close any normal open accounts in your name that are not in collections that he opened, and contact the IRS with the police report.