Question

SeekingFinIndependence

Can I close newer credit cards without negatively impacting my score?
My oldest line of credit is from a card that was opened in Jan 2003 and is still used regularly. I have subsequently opened 3 other credit cards that are also used regularly. However, I opened 4 lines of credit at the same time two years ago (Bloomingdale's and Macy's cards AND two corresponding Amex cards, all on the same day) that I don't ever use. All 4 lines of credit just reduced limit, presumably because I don't use them. Can I just close those without penalty? Should be good for my overall avg because they're some of the newest cards, and it should be good for everything else because I don't use them.

Most Helpful Response

First, FICO models still factor in closed accounts to the "average age of accounts". Don't base your decisions on the Vantage scoring model as very few lenders use it.

I am sure your credit will get dinged a little. My advice is to close one card at a time, wait a month or so in between and see how your scores react, both here and with FICO models.