Question

jpshobbes

can i be placed in collection after 9 yrs
I opened an acct with a cell phone service provider and dropped their services before the contract term ended. They have since charged me $855.00 and just placed me in collection this year. The account was opened over 8yrs ago. I left them over 8yrs ago. How can they just now place me in collection.

Go to Statute of Limitations for Collections and find your state.  If your state is one of the few with a 10 year SOL,  then, Yes, they can put it up for collections.  If the SOL is less than that (I live in Oregon so ours is 6 years), then they generally cannot.  Check all three credit reports (annualcreditreport.com) and look at the notations on the accounts.  If a judgement was filed, it should show the date, and, again, the SOL  would come into play.