Question

Rahul1980

Can I apply to credit card, if an older credit card from the same bank was send to collections?
I had 2 credit cards from Citi, and one from Discover that were send to collections about 4 years back. I have settled those accounts with the collection for less than actual amount. I have been making payments on time since 2013. My FICO score is currently around 639. Can I apply to either Citi or Discover again now? What are my chances of securing a 0% apr card for next 12-15 months?

I am not sure if Citi or Discover blacklist or not, I would do some Google searching for "Does Discover Blacklist" or "Does Citi blacklist". You should find what others have to say that are in the same boat as you. Remember that more than credit scores go into lender's decisions, your overall credit profile is just as important as scores and you probably have some negative information on your reports, so I kind of doubt that you will qualify for a zero percent card, but I am not absolutely sure, so do your own research. Even if you can't get a zero percent card, you still should get a card if you don't currently have any, it will help you rebuild your credit. Check with lenders like Capital One if needed.

Rahul1980

Thanks for the reply. From my research on net, I can vaguely assume there is a blacklist kept by Citi and discover. But whether I am on it or not, I don't know. I settled with the collection agency this year, but the cards were closed back in 2011. How long will collection stay on my credit report? I presently have cards from Amex, Wells Fargo, CapitalOne, and Barclays with a total credit line of $10650. All these cards have perfect history with no late payment/any negative remarks. My FICO score is 639 (according to AMEX) and my equifax score is 701 (according to Creditkarma). I have perfect payment history for past 2.5-3 years. I though now need a 0% APR card with atleast $4000 creditline. Which card is my best options? 

Thanks.