Question

Jesus1girl

Can I apply for a credit card during bankruptcy?
Filed for bankruptcy in 2013, it has been approximately a year. My husband lost his business when w.e had to take care of his grandmother. We have made car payments on time and the a car loan is outside of the bankruptcy which each payment was made on time. Also, our mortgage is outside of the bankruptcy and we only had one credit card expense included in the bankruptcy. I have tried to connect my car loan with no luck to see if it will help my credit score. Is it possible to apply for a secured credit card during the bankruptcy? My car will be paid off in 2017 and the bankruptcy in in 2018 what would be a could time to apply for credit?

Honestly, you are not supposed to apply for credit during a BK. You can ask your Bk attorney for permission to incure debt, but that is only for special needs like car loans and mortgages (after 2 years in your Bk). Sometimes you can slip through the cracks and apply for something on your own. Keep in mind that if you violate your contract, you could risk being discharged from your BK. So the correct answer is no. Your credit will still go up because you are making payments on a vehicle and a home. Be patient and weather the storm. Good luck my friend.