Question

ryan8020

Can creditors collect on successfully disputed debt??
I had a $200 debt with T-Mobile I didn't know about when I switched companies. It went onto my credit report when they sold it to a credit collection company and I disputed it. It was successful and the debt was removed. I now have received a letter 6 MONTHS LATER from a different debt collection agency stating I owe the same amount with the original creditor as Tmobile. I have 30 days to send mail disputing it. What do I do? Is it legal for them to put it on my credit report for a second time?

They still have the option to take you to court to get that money (though doing it for $200 + whatever legal fees they tack on, it really wouldn't be worth the effort on their part unless they have a lawyer on their staff). Also note that this new collection company might put it back on your credit report as well.