Question

Posted in Banking

erik789

Can Chase raid a checking account when a linked credit card is in default?
I have a Chase credit card with a large ($10K+) balance on it. I've missed four consecutive payments and my financial situation is worsening, so the balance will probably go to their collections process soon.

This credit card account is linked to my Chase personal checking account. If my credit card balance goes into default, but a collections judgment has not yet been issued against me, is Chase able to seize whatever funds I have in checking? And/or to automatically close the checking account?

Bankruptcy filing is in my future, but at least three months away. I know that, once I file, creditors can't take any action to seize assets until the end of the process, but it's the time between now and then that I'm worried about. Wondering if it's prudent to open a non-Chase checking account to be safe.

Most Likely

I had a Chase account with an entire paycheck amount from a direct deposit disappear. I went to my local branch and they could not explain it. I pressed on and found out a collection company was involved. I further discovered this was from an  out of state judgement I knew nothing about set by a worthless attorney I refused to pay.

This money left my account nearly 5 years after my "association" with that lawyer. So YES, this was grabbed from a collection company. BTW - none of this was ever on my credit report.