Question

Josh850someday

Can canceling a card that hasn't been open long boost my credit?
My average age of open credit accounts is about 4.25 years, but my oldest card is about 10 years. If I cancel a couple of my newer cards (about a year or less old that I opened at department stores) will this boost my credit score? I understand that the balances will have an effect on my percentage of credit being used, I should still be under 20% after canceling. I don't plan on using these cards, they just helped me to buy a few things for my upcoming wedding by getting me discounts. What I hadn't realized until I started using Credit Karma was that I have opened 21 lines of credit since my first card about 10 years ago. Will canceling cards reduce that number, or will that hang around for 10 years?

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

No, closing those cards will hurt your credit score.  Use them once a year, keep near zero balances.  The number of cards doesn't matter, it is your overall utilization that matters.  Keep that under 30% or lower and you'll be fine.