Can adding my son as an authorized user on my credit cards raise his credit score or lower mine?

lstimp

Most Helpful Response

I was recently added as an authorized user and it actually raised my credit score, but from what I understand this doesn't always happen but it is worth a shot as long as your son doesn't misuse the card.

Response by
tweetymac

Added as authorized user

My partner added my name on to his credit card because when we travel, I need to get the car, and I make purchases for our household on it - but when my name was provided, my ss# was never asked - and now it is showing up on my credit report. How does this happen - you add a name, no SS# and it shows up?  Seems rife for errors!

Response by
gailmindy

Add yourself on as an authorized user to an existing credit account with a good score. Tried and proven! 

Response by
Chany

I've looked this up before and found that they don't report on authorized users' credit reports anymore so I don't think it will help his. If he misuses the card, that will lower yours, but other than that I don't think it will hurt. They could also try to go after him if you misuse the card.

Response by
PiscesFire

It can help his. It won't lower your since the account in question is already on your report.

Response by
hardeight

Submit to the Community