Question

MrKleen73

Can a time barred debt still be posted negatively on credit report
I got a call from a collector for a 10 year old debt, they said they were putting it into collections to mess my credit up if I didn't pay. Is that legal? I set up payment because it was my debt but in for future reference I would like to find out what the legality of this is.

Most Helpful Response

You should never pay a collector!

debts usually stay on your credit report for 7 years, bankruptcy stays on for 10 years.

Bad debts get sold all the time, especially old debt and collectors try to collect on it by usually using scare tactics.  Depending on your state, the debt may be past the statue of limitations for them to sue you - they can try and collect forever but once past SOL then can not sue.

If it shows up on your credit report - dispute!  However, if you sent them a payment already, you re set the SOL and this will now be a like new debt - did you get anything in writing from them about the payment plan?  Never a good idea to pay a collection agency especially on a debt that is over 10 years old.