Question

Posted in Taxes

chaosnik

Can a state tax lien be removed or released if I enter into a payment agreement?
I have found a few state (Ohio) tax lien on my credit report. The amounts owed arw actually incorrect, because they are estimated sales tax owed, when I didn't actually collect that much. Anyways, if I contact them, and enter into a payment arrangement can they release them or even remove them? I can get approved for a home loan, if these weren't there! So frustrating.

AHH, yes Taxes...

I'm not familar with Ohio Tax law, so i can only give you general info,  You will obviously have to contact the state and deal with them, They should be able to give you the answers then. 

You can ask that the liens be removed but chances are that they will leave them in place until the back taxes are paid. Thats the only leverage that most states have.  You may get a compasionate State tax employee that may be willing to release the liens, but in my experience most tax collectors are not the compasionate type.

You will have to file the tax returns for the years in question or your going to have to accept their estimates. Either way, once you have hard numbers and work out a payment plan, you could ask for the liens to be removed.  Realize though that reporting and cross reporting the removal could take up to 60 days,. so don't expect changes on your credit report right away.