Question

always41319

Can a recent college graduate be approved for a student credit card?
I am a 23 year old recent college graduate who is looking to get my first credit card. I want to start building credit, and after years of watching my parents screw up with credit, I'm sure that I can use it responsibly. I'm not looking for a huge credit limit or anything--just a couple hundred dollars so I can charge a little and pay it off every month. The problem is that I am currently working part-time in retail, making ~$5,000 a year. However I live at home and have no other living expenses, and I'm already making payments on my student loans even though I'm still in the grace period. I recently applied for (and was rejected for) the Discover IT card, because I don't make more than $10,000 a year. But in my research I've seen articles that suggest that recent grads apply for student credit cards--even though we're no longer "students." Is this allowed? If so, what are cards that would allow this? And if not, are there any cards that might approve me with the income I have now. I'm looking for a second job, but where I live they are hard to come by. Any advice will be super helpful.

Most Helpful Response

BUILD your credit

You were right to not expect a card with huge limit, but you should not expect a reward card either. Reward cards, especially top ones like DIscover IT, require excellent credit which takes years to build. I would suggest you apply for a secured card first. Most banks will allow you to ugrade your secured card to a non-secured one after around 6 months to 1 year. Don't rush when building credit. That is why we use the verb "build". Hope this helps.