Question

SivapriyaJi

Can a debt collector add an account to credit report that has already been paid off?
I received a letter from an agency saying I owed money for gas service at an address that I never had gas service. Well, this was right before a trip out of the country, so I set it aside to be dealt with later. When I returned, I got a call from an unfamiliar number, so I googled it. It turned out to be a collection agency. I then called the original creditor that was listed and found out it was for gas service I had received in a totally different state. I thought the balance was already paid off with my deposit, but learned that was not so. So, while on the phone with them, I asked if I could pay it off and they let me. The original creditor then gave me a confirmation number and told me to call the collection agency and give them that number, so they will not put it on my report.

I immediately called the collection agency and gave them the confirmation number to show it was paid and full. What happens a couple of weeks later (while I'm dealing with my father's stroke, no less, in and out of hospitals)? They put it on my credit report as an open account with a $50 balance. Is this even legal? I called them and they said that they know it's been paid in full that they were able to check with the original creditor, but that I had to send them a receipt. I do not have a receipt, I paid over the phone and they know it. What can I do?

Dispute it with the credit bureaus. Transunion, Equifax and Experian. You have to have proof of paying it, the amount was debited from one of your accounts and you will have proof of that. If the dispute doesnt work, call an FDCPA attorney.