Question

Jamcorbel

Can a company still charge fees even after your debt has been charged off and sold?
I purchased a vehicle using a loan from a credit union. About a week after this I was called on orders for the Wisconsin Army National Guard for State Active Duty. I notified the credit union of this and under the SCRA the interest was to be capped at 6%, however they did not cap the interest. I calculated what the loan would be if the interest was capped and paid that amount. This resulted in the loan going into default then being charged off. Even though the debt has been charged off and sold to another company I continue to get charged almost $200 a month in fees and late charges. What can I do to resolve this? Also it shows on my credit report as still being with the credit union with one amount and the collection company sends letters showing another amount owed.

Your first mistake was "calling" them

All financial transactions should always be handled in writing. Always. 

If you had written notifying them of your service and requesting SCRA terms they would have had to comply. With out a paper trail you have no proof that you actually notified them  

to deal with this now.  First start with a "validation  letter " for each account.   google It for info on how they work and a template  hand write your letters never print them out  

This will require the credit bureaus to verify the accounts accuracy and their legal right to collect  

once validated you will have a better idea with what you're dealing with. You may need to seek advise from a lawyer  you may have a case against the bank if you can prove they mishandled the account  

good luck