Question

Since1989

Can a collection agency post a late payment for an old debt in collections.
I have an account that has been passed off to a collection agency over a year ago. I have not had any contact with the collection agency, hence I never agreed to a settlement/payment plan.

Only reason I know about this debt is from checking out my scores on credit karma.

Today the collection agency marked my credit score for a "late payment" even though I have never discussed a payment plan, or communicated with the agency in any way.

According to the file provided by my credit report, the account has been in collections for well over a year, and this is the first and only "late payment" marked on my credit report.

Basically wondering if it's legal for them to randomly hit me with a "late payment" even though no payment plan/agreement was ever reached or even discussed.

And also if they are allowed to do this, are they going to start hitting me with late payment mark on my credit score every month now?

Doesn't sound legal to me, keep all paperwork and proof of this and contact a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases in your state. Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as the info may be helpful to you. In the meantime, don't communicate with the debt collector and keep all correspondence from them.

Same here

I have to small collection debts, under $300 each originally from a hospital. They have been on my report since 2013. I have had no contact with them and have made no payment agreement. Suddenly this month they are reporting my payment to them as being late? I don't understand how they can do this. They are lowering my perfect on time payment score.