Question

tmeddie04

Can a collection agency collect on old debt showing as charged off 11 years ago?
I have a collection agency trying to collect on a debt I'm not seeing on my credit report. I have actually researched this further and found an older credit report of my husband's and found this account on there. The original account number they referenced is the same as the debt showing on his credit report, I believe this is why it is not on my credit report. If I remember correctly, we had this credit card when I was unemployed so it was under my husband's name with my name on the account as well. On this credit report from 2009 it listed this debt as opened in 2001 and charged off as bad debt in 2002. Now all of a sudden they are sending me a letter trying to collect on a "settlement amount". I plan to write them but could you give me some advice as to what to say. My plan is to let them know I have no recollection of this and tell them they will need to provide more information about this debt. What do you think?

Most Helpful Response

The charge off happened 11 years ago. They said it will return to my report because they spoke to me. Can they do this?

No, they have to right to collect.  You can just ignore them or write them back and tell them you aren't stupid enough to pay them for an outdated debt.  They purchase these debts for pennies on the dollar, hoping they'll find someone gullible enough to scare into paying.  Good for you for not falling for it!  Feel free to mention that you're thinking of filing a complaint against them with the FTC and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  I bet you never hear from them again.

Sorry, I mean to say "they have NO right to collect" in the first line.

thank you!

I have had this happen to me just the other day; They threatened to take me to court in a civil action. I was almost scared into it but my husband stepped in and told them to "**** off" and they continued to try to scare me into paying more then i can afford so I told them to do what they got to do. There is nothing I can do about it.

It was charged off as a hardship. 

Can they readd this to my credit report?