Question

imthatonegirl

California statute of limitations, please help me get on track.
Hello, I am trying to start taking fixing my credit seriously. I am almost 30 and feel like this is a big failing in my life.
The first and main thing I would like to ask about is the Statute of Limitations, or SOL, in California. According to this website the SOL in CA is 3 years; https://www.debt.org/faqs/americans-in-debt/consumer-california/
Is that for all kinds of debt, besides student loans of course?
How do I find the age of my debt?
I am also going to start paying down my cards, and then my student loans when that is manageable. Any tips you have I would love to hear them!

SOL in Cali is 4 years for written contracts and open-ended accounts like credit cards/revolving accounts, the oral contract is 2 years. The SOL is referring to the length of time you can be sued for that debt, It's different than the length of time a bad debt can be on your credit reports. For charge-offs and collections the reportable length is 7 1/2 years from Date Of First Delinquency (DOFD).

-

The DOFD or removal date can be found on the credit reports pulled directly from each Credit Bureaus, you are entitled to one such report for free once ever 12 months, there are few circumstances, like when you denied for credit, you can pull free reports without limit of time. Or you can call each Bureaus and ask for each accounts' DOFD...However, the starting clock for the SOL isn't so clear, it don't usually go by the DOFD, it might be when the creditors send you notice of default.